Vietnam is a prospective economy. Despite the devastating COVID-19 pandemic, Vietnam is the only country in South East Asia to showcase positive growth in retail sales, imports, and industrial production with a 2.91% growth rate in 2020, rated among the world’s highest.
To visit Vietnam for business objectives, foreigners are required to obtain a Vietnam Business Visa. In this article, BBCIncorp will walk you through all the latest essential information and application requirements for a business visa in Vietnam successfully.
1. An overlook of Vietnam business visa
A Vietnam business visa (Vietnam DN visa) is a short-stay visa, allowing foreigners visiting Vietnam for business purposes to enter and stay in the country for a maximum duration of 12 months. International citizens are obligated to apply for a business visa to work or do a business trip in Vietnam, except for citizens from Vietnam Visa Exemption Countries.
2. Types of Vietnam business visa
Vietnam business visa is categorized into two types:
DN1 visa: Granted to foreigners who work with enterprises and organizations legally operate in Vietnam under the laws of Vietnam.
DN2 visa: Granted to foreigners who visit Vietnam to offer services, promote commercial presence, and conduct other business activities under international conventions.
Sample of Vietnam business visa stamped on the passport
3. The length of stay and the number of entries
The maximum validity duration for a Vietnam business visa is 1 year. Depending on your desired duration of stay and number of entry, you can apply for the following business visas:
- 1 month Vietnam business visa (single or multiple entry)
- 3 months Vietnam business visa (single or multiple entry)
- 6 months Vietnam business visa (multiple entry)
- 1 year Vietnam business visa (multiple entry)
4. Vietnam business visa requirements
To successfully obtain a business visa in Vietnam, make sure you follow these Vietnam business visa requirements:
- Your passport with at least 06 months validity upon arrival in Vietnam, and at least 2 blank pages left;
- NA5 visa application form;
- NA2 form of consideration and inspection of personnel of foreigners entering Vietnam;
- Passport-size photo(s);
- An invitation letter/ sponsorship letter from the inviting company operating in Vietnam if you apply for the business visa through the local embassy in your country;
- NA16 registration form for the seal and the signature of the legal representative of the enterprise operating in Vietnam (if you are sponsored by the company);
- Other documents required by Vietnam’s Authorities depending on your purpose of visit (if any).
5. Ways to apply for a Business Visa in Vietnam
You can apply for a Vietnam business visa in two ways:
Direct application at the Vietnam embassy/consulate: you can apply directly at the nearest Vietnam embassy or consulate in your country. Before submitting your application to the Vietnam embassy/consulate, make sure you contact the embassy for guidance on the compulsory documents and steps to follow.
Application for a Vietnam Business Visa On Arrival: you can get your business visa upon arrival at international airports in Vietnam for your convenience through a Vietnam Business Visa On Arrival (VOA).
First, you need to get the business visa Letter of Approval from the Vietnam Immigration Department to be qualified for the Vietnam Business VOA application. You can get the Letter of Approval online or contact a travel agency to request the Approval Letter for your convenience.
Once you are offered the Letter of Approval, you can travel to Vietnam and get your visa stamped on your passport at the arriving airport.
6. Vietnam business visa processing time
The processing time may vary based on how you apply for the Vietnam business visa.
Visa application at the embassy: the time for processing may vary depending on the embassy/consulate you apply to. Please contact the embassy/consulate for the processing time.
Visa on arrival application: it requires 5-7 working days excluding weekends and public holidays to receive the approval letter.
7. Vietnam business visa cost
The Vietnam business visa cost depends on your chosen method of application.
7.1. Visa application fee at the embassy
The fee may vary depending on the visa type, period of stay, times of entry, and the embassy/consulate you apply to. Please contact the embassy/consulate for the specific business visa fee.
7.2. Visa on arrival application fee
You need to make payment for two separate fees:
Service fee: Each agent charges different prices for the service fee. The price also may vary according to the category of visa, length of stay, processing time, and country of passport issuance.
Stamping fee: Is the fee that foreigners must pay for the Vietnam Government in cash at the arriving airport when you get the business visa stamped on your passport. Either USD or VND is accepted.
Apart from providing corporate and business formation services, BBCIncorp also supports customers getting a Vietnam business visa and work permit.
8. Vietnam business visa extension
In case your duration of stay in Vietnam is longer than scheduled, you can apply for a Vietnam business visa extension. To be accepted for a Vietnam business visa extension, you will need an invitation or sponsorship letter from your company.
8.1. Length of extension
You can extend your business visa validity up to 3 months maximum. The extended period of stay will start from the expiration date of the original visa. If you want to work in Vietnam in the long term, applying for a temporary residence card is a great option.
8.2. Required documents
The obligatory documents for Vietnam business visa extension are:
- Your passport with a minimum of 6 months validity;
- Your original business visa or temporary residence card;
- The visa extension application form;
- A certified copy of the operation license, such as: business registration certificate, operation license of the branch or representative office, investment license, contractor’s license, etc;
- A seal registration certificate or notice of posting information about the enterprise’s seal sample on the national business registration portal;
- An Invitation letter/ sponsorship letter from the inviting company operating in Vietnam if you apply for the business visa through the local embassy in your country;
- A declaration for temporary residence or confirmation of registration of temporary residence at the commune police station according to regulation;
- An appropriate written explanation document of the visa extension;
8.3. Processing time
The processing time for business visa extension usually takes 5-7 working days excluding public holidays.
9. COVID-19 notice: travel and restriction in Vietnam
In light of the COVID-19 pandemic, Vietnam has imposed entry restrictions on all foreigners since March 22nd, 2020, until further notice. However, the measure is not applied to foreign nationals who are diplomats, officials, foreign investors, high-skilled workers, and business managers at the moment.
If you belong to the above-mentioned categories and wish to enter Vietnam for business during this time, you need to contact the inviting agencies or organizations legally operating in Vietnam that you are going to work, to support you carry out visa procedures in accordance with the regulations.
Note that all international citizens entering Vietnam must strictly comply with the 14-day quarantine measure imposed by the Vietnam Ministry of Health. Violators will be subjected to serious charges.
Foreign experts, business managers, high-skilled workers, foreign investors, and diplomats entering Vietnam for a short business trip of under 14 days, however, are not required to comply with the 14-day quarantine. During the trip, they must adhere to all other mandatory health measures and strictly follow their itinerary. If after 14 days they are tested negative for the coronavirus and wish to continue their stay, they are allowed to do so without quarantine.
Acquiring a Vietnam business visa is a crucial condition to help you conduct business in Vietnam. Great news, BBCIncorp is here to offer excellent company formation, banking assistance, and many other add-on services. We also provide Vietnam business visa application services, to support start-ups and SMEs set up and operate their business smoothly.
Contact us now to speed up your business success!
Disclaimer: While BBCIncorp strives to make the information on this website as timely and accurate as possible, the information itself is for reference purposes only. You should not substitute the information provided in this article for competent legal advice. Feel free to contact BBCIncorp’s customer services for advice on your specific cases.
- 1. An overlook of Vietnam business visa
- 2. Types of Vietnam business visa
- 3. The length of stay and the number of entries
- 4. Vietnam business visa requirements
- 5. Ways to apply for a Business Visa in Vietnam
- 6. Vietnam business visa processing time
- 7. Vietnam business visa cost
- 8. Vietnam business visa extension
- 9. COVID-19 notice: travel and restriction in Vietnam
- 10. Conclusion
Get helpful tips and info from our newsletter!
Stay in the know and be empowered with our strategic how-tos, resources, and guidelines.