The Inland Revenue Department recently announced on the automatic deadline extension for the payment of Salaries Tax, Tax under Personal Assessment and Profits Tax for the year of assessment 2018/19. This lies in a series of relief measures by Hong Kong IRD to support taxpayers to reduce their financial and cash flow burden due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
How long is the extension?
Highlights of the Hong Kong IRD’s announcement are as below:
- For taxpayers whose Salaries Tax, Personal Assessment and Profits Tax for the year of assessment 2018/19 will be falling due between April to June 2020, that settlement deadline will be automatically extended for three months.
- If the taxpayer has already made the payment for the first instalment as specified on the demand note, the deadline for the second payment will also enjoy an automatic three-month extension since the due date of the second instalment.
- There is no requirement for the taxpayer to send any application for the above relief.
Who is applicable for the extension?
All taxpayers are applicable for the automatic three-month extension, except certain businesses and individuals as in the following cases:
- Taxpayers having to settle their tax liabilities before departing Hong Kong;
- Taxpayers paying property tax;
- Taxpayers already getting approval to pay their tax by monthly instalments;
To read full announcement from IRD, please click here.
Should you have any question regarding tax payment deadlines for Hong Kong business, do not hesitate to contact us!
Disclaimer: While BBCIncorp strives to make the information on this website as timely and accurate as possible, the information itself is for reference purposes only. You should not substitute the information provided in this article for competent legal advice. Feel free to contact BBCIncorp’s customer services for advice on your specific cases.
Industry News & Insights
Get helpful tips and info from our newsletter!
Stay in the know and be empowered with our strategic how-tos, resources, and guidelines.