After registering your Hong Kong trade company, you have a full plate getting your business in place. The first vital step is to open your business banking account.
It is not only about managing your financial activities but also ensuring working capital for day-to-day operations.
Hong Kong is home to some of the world’s top banks, which offer comprehensive import-export finance solutions. There is in fact a great range of options from domestic to international banks. However, this might be confusing when considering the most beneficial one to register for a banking account.
In this article, we’ll introduce you to the top 3 banks for your Hong Kong trade company, along with some alternative solutions. We will also outline the benefits of each bank to make it easier for you to decide on the right option.
Why need a bank account for your trade business
When starting a Hong Kong trade company, you must open a business bank account. This account is commonly used for managing daily cash flow and overseeing all the company’s transactions – receiving and sending payments, and making and receiving deposits.
Below are the main reasons why you should have a corporate bank account for your trade business:
- Risk mitigation
Running a trade business with a bank account help to minimize the risks of foreign transactions.
With support from banks, you can reduce the time and cost of receiving funds, manage access to cash that increases working capital, and reduce loan needs.
- Capital raising
When trade with a registered business account, you can get better pricing or credit terms from foreign suppliers, or obtain financing to increase cash flow
- Trade activity management
A bank account helps you track transactions and monitor payments accurately.
- Issuance of Letter of credit
Banks can issue a Letter of Credit that facilitates import and export transactions. This assurance helps trade businesses find overseas companies’ partners. The letter is essential in case you need working capital but haven’t received payments from your trade partners.
- Documentary collections
These serve as proof that the actual shipment of a product or service has occurred so that the buyer can accept the bill and the seller can receive the following payment.
Things to consider when choosing banking option for trade businesses
Banks play a vital role in the success of trade businesses. Do research the following elements of the bank carefully for the selection.
- Competitive rates and fees
You want your business to be charged as little as possible to mitigate the cost burden. A bank with low-cost wire transfers and competitive foreign exchange rates is more profitable to your company.
- Product and service innovation
Your trade business will need a bank that offers innovative products and services to access foreign currencies, fitting online banking platforms, or specific services that cater to your particular industry.
- Financial robustness and security
A bank that has robust systems and procedures in place to protect customer funds is a reliable one to work with. Such a bank must always comply with Hong Kong Monetary Authority (HKMA)’s regulations.
- Requirements and conditions for opening a bank account in Hong Kong
Since an official business bank account is essential for starting a Hong Kong trade company, make sure to look into strict regulations that might disqualify your application.
Many Hong Kong banks also require you to provide physical verification. Hence you will need a bank that offers more ease conditions for foreigners.
- Customer satisfaction
A bank highly rated and frequently recommended by customers will ensure the success rate of your business banking process. Look for a customer-centric one with a high public profile.
- Experience in the import-export business
A bank owning competitive business support in transferring money in and out of Hong Kong will also guarantee the knowledge and resources necessary to help your business succeed.
- The ability to provide an appropriate line of credit to your trading needs
This feature is especially crucial when your trade partners are located in countries or jurisdictions affected by unstable economic conditions.
Top 3 banks to consider for Hong Kong trade businesses
Consider these 3 top options to start a business account after successfully registering your Hong Kong trade company.
When it comes to banking options for a Hong Kong trade company, Citi Bank is one of the top names. Citi Bank offers a comprehensive set of services to help traders conduct their business effectively and efficiently.
- No minimum deposits for opening checking and savings accounts
- Global largest credit card issuer with various service options
- Flexible customer service offering multiple means of communication
- Integrated digital banking platform to keep track of your business’ finances worldwide
- Provision of trade finance solutions, including the issuance of Letters of Credit and streamlining traditional trade transactions for importers and exporters
- A global network of branches and ATMs;
- Multiple applicable maintenance fees such as connecting an eligible deposit account to spend on overdrafts
- Limited choice of currencies (US dollar only)
- High fees for international transactions
- Complicated account opening process
- The eligibility for fee waiver falls under certain conditions
Overall, Citi is a suitable choice for businesses that need a global banking partner with a strong reputation.
The brand has a wide range of products and services and offers excellent customer service, although fees can be high for international transactions. This is why it’s quite important to compare rates beforehand.
HSBC is a global bank with a strong presence in Hong Kong and also extensive global reach. It’s among the world’s strongest banking partners as well as a leading provider of international trade and supply chain finance solutions.
- Large global network, making it easy to transfer money internationally
- Wide range of products and services, including loans, credit cards, and insurance
- US$ 1 as the minimum deposit to open checking and savings accounts
- Easy waiver of monthly maintenance fees
- Regulated by the Hong Kong Monetary Authority (HKMA)
- Only US$ 1 as a minimum balance to earn an annual percentage yield (APY)
- Provision of international banking services
- Expensive foreign exchange rates and transaction fees;
- Slow and difficult online banking system to use;
- 0.01% APY is starting rate on interest-bearing checking accounts.
HSBC is a great option for those who are seeking global expansion with an international extensive network and easy opening procedures for foreigners.
DBS Bank is one of the largest banks in Asia, a well-known and trusted bank in Hong Kong, with a long history of providing quality services to businesses. DBS offers specifically tailored options for trade businesses, including accounts, credit facilities, and merchant services.
- Large network of branches and ATMs all over Hong Kong, easy and accessible at various locations
- Wide range of banking products and services for import and export
- A strong reputation as a reliable and trustworthy bank
- Convenient online banking to manage your account 24/7 from anywhere in the world
- High-interest rates on loans
- Limited branch network
DBS offers several online banking tools that make it easy to manage your finances on the go that ease your financial management of Hong Kong trade business.
Alternative options for Hong Kong banks
If you’re looking for a banking option for a Hong Kong trade business, you may find common traditional banks not suitable. This may be due to certain reasons – such as the business being in a high-risk industry, or the company being newly established.
In this case, you will need to explore alternative banking options. One such option is to use an Electronic Money Institution (EMI). These institutions offer a wide range of services, including current accounts, savings accounts, and debit cards. They also offer online banking facilities, so you can keep track of your business finances easily.
Another option is to use a Fintech account. These are designed for small businesses, and offer a range of features, such as online payments and invoicing. They are also very easy to set up, so you can get started quickly and easily.
Explore these banking options if you’re looking for a banking option that suits your Hong Kong trade business. You might find what your enterprise needs.
Start an offshore company in Hong Kong for overseas trade
The bottom line
To keep track of each and every financial-related matter of your Hong Kong trade company and ensure smooth operations, a corporate bank account is extremely necessary.
Among the top service providers, Citi Bank, HSBC, and DBS are the most preferred banks to start your business trade account. Each bank has its own benefits, so it is important to define your needs, do your research and find the best-suited one.
As a foreigner, you might experience difficulty opening a bank account, so consider an EMI account to manage the finances of the Hong Kong trade company productively.
In case you have any additional questions regarding the banking registration process in Hong Kong, feel free to chat with our friendly consultants for further support on this matter, or drop us a message via email@example.com. We are glad to offer help!
Disclaimer: While BBCIncorp strives to make the information on this website as timely and accurate as possible, the information itself is for reference purposes only. You should not substitute the information provided in this article for competent legal advice. Feel free to contact BBCIncorp’s customer services for advice on your specific cases.
Industry News & Insights
Get helpful tips and info from our newsletter!
Stay in the know and be empowered with our strategic how-tos, resources, and guidelines.