Are you considering reuniting with your family in Hong Kong? If so, it’s essential to understand the Dependent Visa application process.

Like any visa, it has specific requirements and criteria that both the applicant and the sponsor must meet. To ensure a successful application, both parties should be familiar with these conditions.

To assist you in this process, we’ve put together a comprehensive blog containing all the essential information for sponsors and dependants. We hope this resource will increase your chances of a successful visa application.

The overview of dependent visa in Hong Kong

The dependent visa is a type of relocation visa designed for the close family members of foreign nationals (referred to as sponsors) who either possess an employment or investment visa in Hong Kong or hold permanent resident status in the city.

Visa eligibility requirements

The eligibility for a visa is determined by the residency status of the sponsor, which are as follows:

For Hong Kong permanent residence

If the sponsor is a Hong Kong permanent resident or has the right to stay without limitations (such as residents with the right to land or unconditional stay), their family member can relocate to Hong Kong.

However, not all family members are eligible. Only individuals meeting the following conditions can apply for the visa:

  • The sponsor’s spouse
  • Unmarried children of the sponsor who are below 18 years of age
  • Parents of the sponsor who are 60 years of age or older
  • Please note that Mainland Chinese dependents must obtain a “One Way Permit” from the China Local Policy Authority.

The Immigration Department does not have the authority to grant a visa to a Chinese individual if the sponsor is a permanent resident or a resident with unrestricted stay in Hong Kong.

For Hong Kong visa holder

The sponsor’s partners and children under the age of 18, including legally adopted children can apply for the dependent visa if the sponsor falls under any of the following categories:

  • Holds a professional employment visa
  • Holds an investment visa for participation in or establishment of a business
  • Holds a visa for educational purposes or training
  • Is authorized to reside in Hong Kong under the Quality Migrant Admission Scheme

To secure an investment visa in Hong Kong, one can establish a company within the region.

This not only grants eligibility to relocate your family but also provides a solid foundation for conducting business and residing in Hong Kong.

The required document for the application

The Dependent Pass visa application in Hong Kong necessitates specific documents. To ensure a successful application, both the sponsor and the dependent must furnish the following required documentation

Required documents for dependant:

To apply for a dependent visa, the dependent needs to prepare the following documents:

Application form

The dependent should complete Part A of Dependent Visa Form ID997, while the sponsor is responsible for filling out Part B of the form.

If the dependent is under 16 years old, a parent or guardian must sign the form.

Identity document

  • Copy of a valid travel document, which must include personal details, date of issue, date of expiry, and any details of re-entry visas (if applicable)
  • If the dependent is currently residing in Hong Kong, include a copy of the travel document page that displays the most recent arrival stamp or extension
  • Copy of the dependent’s Hong Kong identity card (if applicable)
  • Copy of the People’s Republic of China resident identity card (only for Chinese residents without travel documents)
  • Copy of the dependant’s Macau identity card (for Macao SAR residents only)
  • Copy of the dependent’s household registration in Taiwan and Taiwan identity card (for Taiwan residents only).

Supporting documents

Include a copy of the document that establishes the relationship between the dependent and the sponsor. This may consist of:

  • Marriage or birth certificates;
  • Family photos;
  • Family letters with envelopes;
  • Census record books; or
  • The Single Child Privilege Card (if applicable).

Required documents for sponsors:

Here are the required documents for the sponsor to submit along with the ones of the dependent:

  • Complete Part B of form ID997
  • Copy of the sponsor’s Hong Kong identity card
  • Copy of the sponsor’s valid travel document, which must include personal details, date of issue, date of expiry, and any details of re-entry visas (if applicable)
  • If the sponsor currently resides in Hong Kong, also include a copy of the travel document page that shows the most recent arrival stamp or extension
  • Copy of proof regarding the sponsor’s financial status, which can be in the form of bank statements, saving accounts, tax receipts, or recent salary slips
  • Copy of proof regarding the sponsor’s current living arrangement, preferably in the form of rental receipts

The visa application process

Now that you’re acquainted with the required Dependent Pass Visa documents, let’s explore the application process.

Below is an overview of the typical steps you’ll encounter when applying for the visa:

Step 1: Prepare all the documents

Ensure that you have diligently filled out the necessary forms and collected all the required documents for your visa application.

Step 2: Submit required documents

Both the sponsor and dependent can submit the required documents directly to the Hong Kong Immigration Department, either in person or online through the government portal.

If the dependent is unable to visit Hong Kong in person, they can choose to submit their documents at a nearby Chinese Embassy or Consulate.

For dependents residing in Mainland China, the documents should be submitted to the Hong Kong Immigration Division in Beijing.

Step 3: Wait for processing

Once you’ve submitted all your documents, the Immigration Department will initiate the review process. Typically, this review takes approximately 6 to 8 weeks.

Step 4: Collect the visa or entry permit:

Once your dependent’s application is approved, there are several options for collecting the visa or entry permit label:

  • The dependent can collect it in person at the Hong Kong Immigration Department
  • Alternatively, the sponsor can collect it on the dependent’s behalf

If the dependent applies through an embassy or consulate, the visa or entry permit will be sent to either the relevant Chinese diplomatic mission or the Hong Kong Immigration office in Beijing.

Upon receiving the visa, the dependent should adhere to a blank page in their passport. When arriving in Hong Kong, they must present this visa to the Immigration Officer.

For dependents residing in Mainland China, the following steps should be followed after receiving the entry permit label:

  • Obtain an exit-entry permit (EEP) for traveling between Hong Kong and Macau.
  • Get the EEP stamped locally
  • Attach the entry permit label to the EEP.
  • Present the EEP with the attached entry permit label to the Hong Kong Immigration Officer upon arrival in Hong Kong

Post application of the Dependant Visa

While the Dependent Pass Visa allows dependents to live with their family abroad, it’s important to keep in mind certain important considerations.

Here are key points to be mindful of:

Dependant Visa renewal

A dependent visa’s duration corresponds to the validity of the sponsor’s visa.

To renew or extend a dependent visa, dependents should submit their application at least four weeks before its expiration date.

During the renewal process, the authorities will assess the dependent’s eligibility to determine if they still meet the criteria for residing as a dependent. Additionally, they will verify if the sponsor maintains their status as a bona fide Hong Kong resident.

The length of the extended stay depends on the sponsor’s residence status:

If the sponsor is a Hong Kong permanent resident

  • Spouses and unmarried dependent children under 18 typically receive a 3-year extension.
  • Parents aged 60 or above usually receive a 2-2-3-year extension

If the sponsor is a visa holder

For Hong Kong visa holders, such as investment visa, the extension duration will be tied to the sponsor’s visa validity.

Application for Permanent Residence Status

Dependents who have resided in Hong Kong continuously for a minimum of seven years under a Dependent Visa are eligible to apply for Permanent Residence (Right of Abode).

Gaining permanent residency in Hong Kong, the dependents are eligible to:

  • Unrestricted work and residency
  • Access to public services
  • Voting rights


In summary, the dependent visa plays a crucial role in reuniting families in Hong Kong.

To ensure a smooth relocation process, it is vital for sponsors and dependents to comprehend the visa’s requirements and gather all the necessary documents for submission to the Hong Kong Immigration Department.

If you are considering incorporating in Hong Kong to bring your family over, our support team is ready to provide further information. Feel free to contact our support team for more information via

Disclaimer: While BBCIncorp strives to make the information on this website as timely and accurate as possible, the information itself is for reference purposes only. You should not substitute the information provided in this article for competent legal advice. Feel free to contact BBCIncorp’s customer services for advice on your specific cases.

Share this article

Industry News & Insights

Get helpful tips and info from our newsletter!

Stay in the know and be empowered with our strategic how-tos, resources, and guidelines.